(Click here for announcements)
Read John 20:21-22
Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. (NIV)
- Jesus said that He was sending them as the Father had sent Him. All believers are sent out by Christ. Do you ever think of yourself as being sent out by the Lord to the world? Do you approach each day as if on a mission for Christ? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to be sent? For what purpose and to whom have you been sent?
- Why do you think that at the same time Jesus send them out, He also says 'Peace be with you!?'
- Read Matthew 10:16:
- 16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. (NIV)
- What does this mean to you?
- (Facilitator Note: Jesus was also sent as a lamb among the wolves. The enemy was constantly out to tempt Him into sin and selfishness to destroy His witness and ministry. The enemy also has an army and each day whether you approach the day as if you are on a mission and the enemy is out to destroy you, the enemy has a plan, a well thought out plan to tempt you, overwhelm you, overtake you, and destroy your witness.)
- What does peace have to do with being sent out as sheep among wolves?
- (Facilitator Notes: We need the peace of God within us because of these attacks of the enemy. The power of God can only be displayed in times of trouble, but if in these times, we lose faith, how can God be glorified? We must remain at peace, not giving the Devil an inch, so that our faith in Him might be seen and His power to sustain and deliver might be apparent.)
- Why at this moment did Jesus also give them the Holy Spirit in full?
- (Facilitator Note: Our peace is wrapped up in His presence. When He is with me, I am able to know His thoughts and learn His ways. I am confident that He is at work though it might not be seen. I am convinced that He is still with me though it appear that I am alone. And in His promises, reinforced by His Spirit in me, gives me peace to allow Him to be glorified.
- Do you live as if God has put His full presence within you? Do you have the peace that comes with knowing the King of Kings is with you? What things in your life break your peace? How should we work to maintain our peace when it is broken?