The Scriptures speak about spiritual maturity.
How would you define spiritual maturity?
What kinds of things effect our spiritual maturity?
How do you know if you are growing?
In the following passage, the apostle Paul lays down the foundation of the church. Read it keeping in mind, he is speaking of how we are to reach spiritual maturity and what happens if people do not grow.
- It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
- 14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. (NIV 1984)
- Ephesians 4:11-14
According to this passage….
What happens if we do not grow spiritually? (We become like infants tossed back and forth by the waves, blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men and their deceitful scheming.)
What is the purpose of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers? (To prepare God’s people for works of service.)
In the KJV, the word for ‘service’ is translated into ‘ministry.’ What is ministry?
In the original language, the word 'ministry' comes from a root word that means those who attend as a servant carrying out the commands of their superior. Do you feel like you are active in ministry? If yes, how? (Give time for many people to answer.)
Consider this command from the Lord:
- Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. (NIV 1984)
- Matthew 28:18-20
According to this passage, part of our ministry is to make disciples. What is a disciple? (A disciple is one who is disciplined to do what their teacher does. A disciple of Christ would be one who does in their life the things that Christ did in His life.)
What different kinds of ministry are necessary to help someone become a disciple? (Not everyone is a teacher. Not everyone is a musician. But everyone has gifts given to them so that as a church, we work together to make disciples.)
What are some ways that you could be more active in ministry either at church services or in your daily life? (Give everyone a chance to answer.)
What are some things the church could do to serve our community as a witness of God’s love? (Have someone write these down and email them to me so that I can use this information.)
PRAY THAT EVERYONE IN OUR CHURCH AND OUR CHURCH CORPORATELY WOULD FIND MORE WAYS TO MINISTER.
- This Sunday is Easter. Be sure to invite friends and family to our service.
- Easter Egg Hunt following the service for the children
- This Saturday, there is a Men's Ministry breakfast and golf. Be at the church at 9am.
- We need Crisis Care Kits ASAP for flooding in the Orange area. The church office will be sending out an email with this information. Bring them Sunday!
- There will be a ministry kick-off on Sunday, April 3rd. Everyone is invited to stay for lunch after church and learn more about the many different ministries of the church.
- We are still needing more Children's Church volunteers and First Impressions volunteers. If anyone is interested, text Pastor Lee-210-834-3364
- We are developing a Follow Up Team. The first meeting for those interested is tomorrow evening at the church, 7pm.
- We are hoping to add another Lifeline for the next session. We want to only use someone who has been part of a Lifeline to start a new Lifeline. And we are looking for someone who would host that lifeline in their home if not the facilitator. Again, text Pastor Lee-210-834-3364